Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 13, 2012

Ice Cream Dream Come True

Ice Cream. It is a treat that just about everyone loves in one form or another. Most of us have no problem going to the grocery store or ice cream shop and picking out our favorite flavor . It's not that easy for a person with a dairy allergy. Places like Coldstone and Bruster's are pretty much off limits. Grocery stores are getting better, stocking soy based and coconut milk based desserts, which have definitely helped the food allergy community to enjoy dessert again. The only problem with these treats is the price tag. It costs a little over $5 for a pint of coconut milk based ice cream.  So I decided to try my hand at making some homemade coconut milk based ice cream for Nathan.

I took out my ice cream maker that I got as a wedding present many years ago (thanks Whitney and Jake!) and got to work. I had plenty of coconut milk to replace the cow's milk but most of the recipes I found also called for heavy cream which is a huge no-no in our world. I racked my brain for something I could add as a thickener to give the ice cream a little more substance. I decided to try out xantham gum, a staple ingredient in allergy friendly baking that I keep stocked in the pantry. After doing some research to determine how much I should add to my liquid, I was ready.


This is my recipe for homemade Coconut Milk Ice Cream:

2 cups Coconut Milk (I used So Delicious Original Coconut Milk)
2/3 cup of sugar (I will be experimenting in the future on alternative sugar substitutes (honey, agave)
1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp xantham gum

Whisk the coconut milk and sugar together until they are dissolved. Add vanilla. For the xantham gum, be sure to add a little at a time and whisk it thoroughly. It has a tendency to clump up quickly in liquid.
Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's directions as far as how long to mix it and store it afterwards. Makes 1/2 quart.

Mine thickened up really well and looked so good only after about 15 minutes. After it was done, I put some in a bowl and then the rest went into a freezer safe container and was stored so it could harden a little.

Nate absolutely LOVED it and it made me feel good that I could finally give him a treat that I knew would not harm him in any way. There is something about watching your child eat ice cream for the first time that warms your heart!

 Getting his first taste


 Trying to lick the bowl!



That smile makes it all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment